Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Journey Begins

Yes! I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna homeschool Nyasha. I have to, she's not learning, she's struggling with math. Not math! Yes, it's true she was struggling in math (my least favorite subject, so I felt inept to help her, even though she was in the third grade at the time). Then I saw a little improvement so I continued to send her to school even though the goddess appealed to me on many occasions to withdraw her from school, I continued to send her anyway, besides, I had to work right?  Ever since Nyasha was a toddler I wanted to homeschool her through her elementary years at least, but reality has a way of rearing it's ugly head announcing how foolish you are. How are you going to homeschool when you are a single parent? How are you going to eat, have a roof over your head if you don't work?  Now stop thinking those crazy thoughts and get your butt to work!

So I finally made my decision to homeschool in the month February of this year. I began to research homeschooling sites to get a feel of what I was up against. What curriculum do I have to purchase if any? Are there any free curriculums? Oh, did I forget to mention that I am unemployed? Sorry 'bout that. Yeah I'm unemployed so I was really nervous about this undertaking but I knew I had to do this, I had to save my child from the system. Once I took that first step it became a little easier but we are still making the transition from school to unschooling (child-lead learning). I have to learn to trust that Nyasha is constantly learning and I have to trust myself to trust the process. I also have to go through the process of DE-schooling and rid myself of  what experienced unschoolers call "school think".

This journey for me is one of the most important journeys I have ever taken in my life. It is certainly the most profound and I am looking forward to sharing it with you. As I continue to grow in this venture hopefully I will be able to help some, entertain others, and learn in the process.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Hi Tangela,

So glad you left a comment on SPROUTS because I was able to find your blog. My daughter (who is ten like your daughter) and I have enjoyed reading posts and looking at your beautiful photos. I'm a single, homeschooling mom, too, and know others on this path...you aren't alone! Looks like you are off to a great beginning and having lots of fun. Best wishes to you both.